Last Post 11/13/2012 05:50 PM by ibd-paluszak (2170) . 7 reply.

(2) 
Sort Posts:

12/30/2011 09:08 AM

7 Stocks With Accel EPS Growth into next Qtr
by ibd-paluszak (2170) Joined on 06/04/2010 Posts: 220

I was looking at the fundamentals of several stocks and was noticing that many have EPS Est for the current Qtr that are lower than the last Qtr results.  So I did some searching and wanted to see which if any stocks have an “EPS Est Cur Qtr %” that is greater than their “EPS % Chg Last Qtr” and have a value of TRUE for “EPS Accel 3 Qtrs”. 

The screen I used was:

·         EPS Accel 3 Qtrs is TRUE – the core of what I am looking for

·         EPS % Chg 2 Q Ago >= 0% – The EPS Acceleration has to start at a positive rate.  This excludes those that are starting @ big negative numbers and are barely positive after 4 qtrs. The C in CANSLIM.

·         EPS & SALES Growth 3 Yr > 10% - Solid EPS and Sales growth, but not too restrictive.  The A in CANSLIM.

·         % Chg 12 months >=20 – excludes those with poor supply/demand and lack of institutional support.  Helps with the S, L and I in CANSLIM.

You can’t use the MarketSmith screening tools to find stocks where one criterion (EPS Est Cur Qtr %) is greater than another (“EPS % Chg Last Qtr”).  So I had to use Excel for that.  I exported the results of the above screen and applied the last criteria, comparing the “EPS Est Cur Qtr %” to the “EPS % Chg Last Qtr”.  This gives me 7 stocks.  They are:

CRR

GOLD

DG

NUAN

QCOR

SXCI

TDG

I would say that most of these stocks should be on everybody’s watch list.  I am tracking SXCI & CRR, but neither are on my watch list - all of the others are on my Watch List..

Three important items regarding this screen.

1. It has just a few criteria and is not overly restrictive nor complicated.

2. I try to include, or at least consider the 7 elements in IBD's CANSLIM methodology.

3. I did not screen out thinly traded and cheap stocks. Solid EPS and Sales growth did that for me.

Robert Paluszak

Supreme Leader (Co-Organizer) of The Villages Meetup, and proud to have IBD be the Organizer. ( A poke at those whinning about the recent Meetup changes)

12/30/2011 10:28 AM

Re: 7 Stocks With Accel EPS Growth into next Qtr
by dthomas240 (2990) Joined on 08/14/2010 Posts: 242

Robert,

Very interesting list of stocks. Thanks for the list and thanks for your extra screening!  Some are already on my watch list, I will add the others.  But Also……………  I really like the last line in the post.  I am also a proud Co-organizer!  And proud to have IBD as the “Organizer” of my meetup group!  Don

12/30/2011 11:19 AM

Thanks.  With all the discussion on the Organizers list, I just had to add some humor in it.  Some people take it way to seriously and over think some things.

In looking at the data I sometimes get this curiosity about the data and the stocks that drives to to these things.  It was also a little self serving as I wanted to save my research notes and possible come back to it at a latter date.  I was suprised as to how few stocks passed the screen as I thought I was being very loose on the criteria. 

Robert Paluszak, Leader of IBD Meetup in The Villages

01/05/2012 06:57 AM

by purcents (320) Joined on 06/02/2010 Posts: 29

I am confused re the comment     ' You can’t use the MarketSmith screening tools to find stocks where one criterion (EPS Est Cur Qtr %) is greater than another    '                                     

01/05/2012 07:31 AM

The screening tool allows you to specify a value for a criteria; such as “EPS Est Cur Qtr %” > 25.  But you can't specify “EPS Est Cur Qtr %” > “EPS % Chg Last Qtr”. 

Put another wayin a screen, Marketsmith only allows you to screen using a specifc value for a criteria.  You can't do the complex formulas that you can do in a spreadsheet.  The easiest way is to try it.  In a screen try and enter something other than a value, such as a variable or another criteria.

Robert

01/15/2012 01:08 PM

by jebmkm (135) Joined on 04/30/2010 Posts: 36

Check your sell signals on QCOR...   I would not be following this one too closely right now.  John

01/16/2012 06:46 PM

John,

I agree with you on that.  When I posted it, QCOR had just pulled back to it's MA on lower volume, with great fundamentals.  But last weeks action was damaging and will take weeks to repair if at all.  I would put it in the broken pile for now.

NUAN, I just bought.  TDG is still hanging in their.  I also would not be touching CRR soon.

Robert

11/13/2012 05:50 PM

Re: Stocks With Accel EPS Growth into next Qtr

I reran the screen described above and only 3 stocks pass.  They are: PBH, ULTI & ECL.  I would consider all thinly traded. 

It actually goes to support the poor market conditions we are in.

I ran a modified version of this screen.  Screning for just Accel EPS for the past 3 qtrs and Accel into the next qtr.   The following stocks passed this screen: OCN, ULTI, EMN and URBN. 

Robert Paluszak

Organizer of the IBD Meetup of The Villages, FL