Last Post 03/11/2013 10:08 PM by themanwiththecrystalball (1885) . 36 reply.

(4) 
Sort Posts:

02/13/2013 01:17 PM

SCRUTINIZING THE STOCKS TO WATCH LIST
by themanwiththecrystalball (1885) Joined on 01/12/2011 Posts: 215

This is the comment area for the STOCKS TO WATCH LIST

Here is where you can help members with a quick analysis of stocks posted, good or bad.

PS - Members, if we slam you stock, don't take it personally! Please!  We appreciate the post and will hopefully help you out in the process pointing out the pros and the cons! (think of this section like Cramers' Mad Money, but with FACTS!)

~THE CRYSTAL BALL

02/13/2013 02:02 PM

Re: SCRUTINIZING THE LEADERS TO WATCH NOW LIST
by stevegcap (3490) Joined on 07/07/2010 Posts: 132

what are you seeing about LOPE that you like so much?  I'm not liking the way it cant get through (and stay above) it's pivot...

02/13/2013 07:15 PM

LOPE - I took a small position. I don't love the stock, but I like it. I am not in bed with it (if it acts up, it's sold).

Like:

• base within 3 year long base (this had to be hell for the people who held. I'm not that patient. Much long term work has gone into this base
  • triple digit annual EPS, rare
  • overall good fundamentals and tech
  • not extended - nice, safe first stage base (I don't do well in Vegas)
  • acceleration in sales

Do not like:

• Decelerationin earnings - DV's recent earnings report counter balance this a little according to CRYSTAL.

I put this one by CRYSTAL and here is what she said:

~~~~~~DEVRY STUPID!~~~~~~ (sometimes she is a smart ass) :)

-THE CRYSTAL BALL

02/13/2013 07:48 PM

PASS:

• LL - This is a CRYSTAL BALL CANDIDATE (no position at this time), slightly extended on short term. Slightly concerned about 10 FOLD advance since bull market began (not a deal breaker if everything else is okay)

----------------------------------------

FAIL:

• CTRX - Failed! - 3 quarters or deceleration in EPS and SALES - End of story, much more wrong too.
  • KSU - Failed! - Extended from first stage base pivot of $84.00 also fails a key CRYSTAL BALL METRIC. What is the metric? IBD refers to the last buy-able base as a 1 (b). But THE BALL takes into consideration another factor. What is the FOLD increase since the beginning of the bull market? KSU is up 8 FOLD off the bottom ($97.36 / $12.25 low 09'). I prefer a KORS or LOPE, which is up 1 or 2 Fold. With me? Toss in a correction here and the stocks that have moved up 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 FOLD are really going to take a spanking compared to the stocks up 1 or 2 fold. There is no science with this theory, it's just something I look at and I noticed has burned me over the years. I look at the monthly chart before every purchase.
  • BLK - Failed! - I always wanted to own this stock, but it is now extended past the first stage base pivot point of $192. Don't get me wrong, it's probably going higher, but it fails my risk criteria.

Good luck and thanks for the tips, especially putting LL front and center again.

~THE CRYSTAL BALL

PS - Remember I won't necessarily post when the CRYSTALL BALL SELLS. Review all your selling rules.

02/13/2013 09:15 PM

FAIL:

• V - FAILED! - Three quarters of EPS decceleration, RS only 75 (enough said)

~THE CRYSTAL BALL

02/14/2013 08:03 AM

PASS:

• DHI
  • MX
  • FIVE

I like all these! THANK YOU for posting!

I really like how we can come to ONE SPOT and get all the member CURRENT BEST PICKS. It's a great memory jogger and also brings new ideas!.

Maybe Marketsmith, could eventuallhy add a function where members could enter the stock in a list with a breif explanation (short, like twitter). For now this will work.

Also remind me later when the market corrects, we should do the same in reverse for SELLING! We can set up a forem called  STOCKS I AM SELLING TODAY, STOCKS I AM SHORTING TODAY.

Thanks again and good luck with the trades,

~THE CRYSTAL BALL

02/14/2013 08:10 AM

DHI - Thanks Morika! I picked up a position in this today!! I appreciate it.

~THE CRYSTAL BALL

02/14/2013 02:35 PM

by stevegcap (3490) Joined on 07/07/2010 Posts: 132

what does the ball think about MDC?

02/14/2013 07:36 PM

MDC - Neutral (as with most builders)

THE CRYSTAL BALL picked up a small position in DHI today (see BLOG "Should be we be shorting". I preferred the KORS and LNKD trades as they beat on all (most metrics) at the time of breakout.

Here is what CRYSTAL SAID:

~~~~~~Warning, what the heck happened on the week of Feb 2 ?~~~~~~

That week is a deal killer for a CRYSTAL BALL stock.

02/14/2013 07:45 PM

PASS:

• YNDX - THE CRYSTAL BALL took a small position. Like the first stage base this late in the bull market (a little safer).

FAIL:

• OCN - Failed! 3rd stage base. Looks poised to go higher though. CRYSTAL aims to be right 95% of the time, 3rd stage bases are not allowed with the risk metrics.

~~~~~~I don't like the Ugly Duckling Sister either, ASPS~~~~~~

THE CRYSTAL BALL

02/15/2013 08:56 AM

FAIL:

• (AL Changed to PASS on 2-20-2013) AL - FAILED! - 4 quarters of deceleration (enough for Crystal, but has other issues
  • URBN - FAILED! IBD pumps this stock and I don't know why. Ann EPS 8%, Current EPS only 14, many other problems. Not buying the comeback....**not disputing it will not go higher, nice volume action, just doesn't cut it for CRYSTAL (CRYSTAL is as picky as a 3-year old eating vegtables :))

Thanks very much for posting these though!!

~~THE CRYSTAL BALL

02/16/2013 09:19 AM

John thanks for the stocks! Here is the CRYSTAL BALLs down and dirty assessment!

NEUTRAL:

• CHUY - Nice easy pullback, this is probably going higher. CAUTION FLAGS - ROI only 10%, SMR lowly c and Acc/Dis Rating only c. Deceleration in annual and quarterly EPS.  Nice chart and RS. Not a Buyer.

FAIL:

• CLGX - FAILED! Annual EPS only 1%, Not an EPS acceleration story, ROE only 4%.

02/16/2013 08:46 PM

by jrub22 (230) Joined on 05/21/2011 Posts: 17

ALXN looks perfect technically to short on every aspect.

• Q3 no EPS acceleration & sales decelerated
  • Q4 both EPS & sales decelerated
  • Teflon former winning stock breaking down from a late stage base
  • Can't stay above descending 50 day/10 week line for weeks with market in confirmed uptrend
  • ** Most Important ** Friday 02-15-13 day after their Q4 earnings report rallied into then reversed in high vol off the decending 50 day and technically important price settled at a new all time low of $86.01 below the former major bottom of $86.20 on 11-12-12 'a key technical breech' reaching this new low.

Cons for me 'No Real Bad News' exists and Q1 2013 guidance given was above analyst consensus. That kinda leaves it open for the stock at anytime deciding a bottom reversal  back upward. The stock sold off hard on volume Friday 02-15-13 after 02-14-13 Q4 earnings still leave me sort of indecisive shorting while ignoring facts mentioned regarding positive guidance. On sole technical basis 'the stock is in a clear downtrend'  The market has spoken after Q4 earnings so leaving the market as the final arbiter.

02/17/2013 06:24 PM

Great analysis! Also I have been tracking U/D, Acc/Dis, RS, all have been dropping precipitously. I was short the stock and I sold on the earnings day! Darn! I mis-understood the earnings report and I thought earnings were accelerating (quarterly), but they are NOT. Plus I hate going against the grain of the market. This is a tough time because I think a lot of us think there is going to be a correction in some of these stocks but we are in an uptrend and technically should not buy them.

I am glad you tossed a short in here. Once the market goes into a correction, I'll start a SHORT list and we can back burner this list for the duration of the correction.

~THE CRYSTAL BALL

02/18/2013 02:40 PM

MX - Can someone pick this thing apart for me?

MX:  Buy or don't buy?

Crystal is getting  a little emotional lately, she thinks the market is going to correct and everything we own is going to tank with it!

Want to make sure no purchase mistakes are made.

2011 earnings slipped from 2010, A BIG RED MARK on the stock. Also having tough time overcoming annual EPS of only 12. Obviously nice acceleration(this would be an acceleration story).  I prefer steady annual growth stories but I know these can work.

I would be interested if there are reasons for buying this one to overcome the check marks?

~THE CRYSTAL BALL

02/18/2013 06:17 PM

Re: MX - Can someone pick this thing apart for me?

MX analysis for those searching vision through a crystal ball . This is not investment advice and any information provided shall not be taken as such.

The Undeniably Good

• MX is up-trending trading above the 21 day line at this moment
  • MX has 2 terrific EPS and revenue growth acceleration last 2 qtrs.
  • fund sponsorship has increased the last 3 qtrs
  • UD Vol Ratio is an outstanding 2.0 = (  very high demand for shares)
  • REO is superb 35% (well beyond the standard 17% IBD insists on)
  • RS line is solid 90 (The stock is outperforming the general market)
  • Market remains in confirmed uptrend
  • Industry Rank is #43 ( fairly decent rank)
  • Entry is $16.90 or above w/high vol, market in confirmed uptrend is your lowest risk buy point.

The Potential Not So Good and The Winds Still In Your Face **important**

• The general market is stretched, extended & 'Overbought' (Don't mean we can't go higher) but a decent pullback is very likely soon in the cards as the uptrend is getting much older. We truly have not had any sustained pullback so far in this uptrend. This has to be considered as additional risk.
  • MX had secondary offering on 02-05-13 ( more shares in the market = shareholder dilution)
  • Stage 1b base ended forming a cup with a high handle pullback formation including some added high vol ( this can be somewhat flawed) doesn't mean that it won't necessarily still work; just not ideal.
  • Any entry below $16.90 is high risk.
  • Any entry at $16.90 or higher in low volume still contains moderate risk

02/18/2013 07:29 PM

Thank you! I think I am struggling with exactly your point of the general market. This is a time when we all need to step back and just make sure we follow all the IBD rules by the book. This would be a bad time to cheat, i.e. buy before the breakout. Obviously, via the Big Picture on Friday, IBD is not worried about the market. I WANT TO AGREE, it's just that old nagging, tugging CRYSTAL BALL saying.

~~~~~~WALL STREET LOVES TO DISAPPOINT~~~~~~

Jessie Livermore said it perfectly when he made a killing shorting. "Well, people were starting to talk bullish again" :) I love this quote and it sums it up pretty well. But with that said, we are past the line of least resistance in an upward market right now. We must play the bullish hand.

One concept we can take home is this: If MX breaks out in volume, that probably signals this uptrend is solid. Theoretically the stock will not break out if the market is week This goes for other leaders as well.

02/19/2013 07:10 AM

by scott.weithman (45) Joined on 02/13/2013 Posts: 6

May just be overthinking things/worrying over nothing, but I already got burned this earnings season with GNRC.

I'm fairly new to the O'Neil method of investing and was curious if anyone is concerned with the price action of LL heading into the earnings release this week. Last Friday's high volume reversal in the afternoon and the weakness this morning has me worried I'm missing something (e.g. earnings leak pointing towards disappointment). Does anyone else see danger ahead? Is this sort of movement normal heading into earnings for a stock like LL?

Prior to the last couple months I was a "buy and hold" investor, so I haven't paid too much attention to earnings in regards to price movements prior to earnings release (i.e. I read and considered the numbers after they were released, but never cared day to day what happened in to the stock price, as I held for years not weeks/months).

Am I just overthinking/worring about nothing, or am I getting ready to see another single day 8% drop from disappointing earnings/outlook?

02/19/2013 07:26 AM

by hcheinze (20) Joined on 01/19/2013 Posts: 1

Time to get out of YNDX? CAN SLIM says yes.

02/19/2013 07:49 AM

If your game plan is CAN SLIM investing, then yes, follow your game plan and get out! There are other fish in the sea. Lick your wound and jump on the horse again with another pick (I say this having just gone through the same thing with GNRC; good numbers but disappointing outlook).

You want to stick to a plan and follow it, and the CAN SLIM method is a good plan... if that's the plan you used to pick this stock, then time to sell. Sorry for your loss.

Also, I never liked YNDX here due to the sloppy base, large vol. down day on Dec. 14th, and the poor RS, so I may be overly negitive here with YNDX with/without the disappointing day. My two cents...

Disclaimer: I'm fairly new to the CAN SLIM method and certainly have much to learn with investing in every aspect; I'm certainly no "expert" and I only wish I had a crystal ball! Also, after my sell GNRC has made a nice comeback (though I saw suppot at the 50 day MA where YNDX fell right through it!).

02/19/2013 08:28 AM

Pass

• TBBK- Keep the one you bought and be patient.  You picked a nice stock. This may not be a crazy moving growth stock like DDD, but I'd prefer stable, nice even upside vs all the psychological games.

Neutral

• Dorm - It's probably going up but 2nd stage base, and look at the monthly. THE CRYSTALL BALL has created it's own unique rule. If a stock is up 10 FOLD from the beginning of the bull market its either off limits or extreme caution should be warranted.

Fail

• VSI - Does not meet 25% current quarter sales growth
  • YNDX - Big miss, CRYSTAL GOT THIS ONE WRONG

~THE CRYSTAL BALL

02/19/2013 08:37 AM

Awesome, thanks!

Current holdings are PIR, LL, KORS, DHI, and TBBK if you want to pick apart any of those (though they are a bit past where I bought most of them/their pivot point, they were all bought within the last 20 days).

Like I mentioned earlier, LL has me nervous with the last couple days behavior ahead of earnings; am I just being parinoid, or is Friday afternoon and this morning a bad sign ahead of the release... 

02/19/2013 09:00 AM

LL - Watch is close. If it bounces off the 10-day and can close in high range for the day (that could at least offer some temporary relief allowing an easier hold).

CRYSTAL has certain skills, but it not a great stock chart technician in the true sense.

If sales and earnings decelerate again this this quarter (that would make three quarters in a row of decelerations), that would be enough for CRYSTAL to dump it and move to something safer.

Good luck with the trade,

~THE CRYSTAL BALL

02/19/2013 09:13 AM

Fail:

• INVN - Failed! Annual EPS and SALES decelerated, Earnings stability 99.

~THE CRYSTAL BALL

02/19/2013 12:14 PM

LOPE - Thought about adding before earnings report. Still within 25 buy range. Just not enough improvement in RS and other metrics prior to earnings. 75% confident in nice earnings bump (not high enough to plunge).

02/19/2013 02:16 PM

Interested to get folks thoughts on KORS's secondary offering anounced this evening... seems like other offerings have put KORS into a period of consolidation (what looks to me like consolidation until the next earnings release blew numbers out of the water and institutions "got over it").

As a shareholder, I'm going to hold my shares (for now) and just see where things go, but was just curious what others thought...

02/19/2013 02:54 PM

Do any Members know how to handle this situation? If a company continually dilutes (aka SCREWS) existing holders, can a stock remain a leader or is it best to sell? I asked CRYSTAL about this and her response was a natural one....

~~~~~~~I FEEL USED!~~~~~

The stock is still only up less than 10% from the breakout. Let's assume the stock starts another new base (as it has in the past), with a 20% correction and a 3-4 month duration, is it worth sticking around? The 20% correction would leave people who bought the breakout with a 10% loss.

~THE CRYSTAL BALL

02/19/2013 08:24 PM

by zengin (310) Joined on 08/10/2010 Posts: 44

Ok...Here is the deal. First of all the shares are not diluted here. This is a secondary offering of existing shareholder's shares. Primarily Michael Kors himself  (3M shares) and Sportswear Holdings (20M shares). I know previously SOs led to base building. But actually the bases coincided with market corrections. So yes, this may be the same ol story (another base building), but it also may not since this market is showing no signs of weakness. Key here is to not freak out and dump your shares first thing in the morning. That's the amateur way. Sell your shares as usual; if your stop gets hit. Good luck!

02/19/2013 09:33 PM

Everything I explained was within realm of IBD rules. If you do not know the basic terminology of the general market you need to read How To Make Money In Stocks.

02/20/2013 07:33 AM

PASS

• KORS - THANK YOU FOR THE CLARIFICATION based on member comments and CRYSTAL's own internal checks - Holding - Wait for traditional sell rule 1 - Crash thru the 50-day in volume or breaks up channel. Neither is real probable right now so hold.
  • CELG - Very RARE for THE CRYSTAL BALL to buy after a stock is extended 5% from original base. This is a RARE "late" purchase for CRYSTAL. WHY? - The stock landed 8-week hold rule. Now its  pounding out of the nice consolidation. I still don't like low current quarterly  SALSE and hence I passed it up the first time. Assuming current sales will accelerate from this level though.
  • WETF - Looks like a winner, did not do full analysis - Is this forming a high tight (HTF)?

FAIL

• ALKS - Not sure why this is still a LEADERBOARD stock. decelerating sales, declining RS - Avoid this dud.

~~~~~~C~E~L~G~~~~~~Something BIG is happening here, take the leap of faith~~~~~~

~THE CRYSTAL BALL

02/20/2013 08:18 AM

****UPDATE on POSTING - CHANGE MADE*****

AL - Pass - Added to Leader's, broke out of saucer base. Even though sales decelerated, they are still strong, which trumps the deceleration. Earnings did not decelerate.

02/22/2013 07:50 AM

AL - still within 5% of buy point. Broke out of a beautiful, long saucer during the recent crash! (show of force)

LOPE- still within 5% of point point. U/D, Acc/Dis, RS all improving (even during recent crash). Use some caution on the pullback. Do your own study.

Both of these are FIRST STAGE. If you prefer some nice growth, without all the drama of a DDD like stock,  I suggest first stage bases. I rarely even buy a second stage, never a third or higher. Always look at a monthly chart before purchase.

VRX, nice bounce of the 50-day.  Extended from the original buy point (a little), so adding here off the 50-day bounce. Only the first bounce off the 50-day - (safer than 3rd or 4th bounces)

Good luck and be careful right now.

~THE CRYSTAL BALL

02/24/2013 06:04 PM

PASS!

• CVRR - 3.6 U/D, Sweet weekly chart. Notice extreme soft volume in latest two down weeks. Thanks!

~THE CRYSTAL BALL

02/25/2013 08:10 AM

Dont' panic! If your following THE CRYSTAL BALL style of trade (slightly more conservative) AL, VRX, AVG are all up (sign of strength). LOPE down a fraction. I don't see anything alarming yet.this AM with the sudden market drop.  Don't let the DDD's of the world throw you off, these stocks were all late state bases anyway (hopefully you have followd CRYSTAL's advice and stayed away from these "drama" type stocks.

02/25/2013 08:56 AM

AWAY - As the market is selling off this AM,  AWAY stock price has risen (sign of strength). I am expecting AWAY to close UP on the day with large volume.

~THE CRYSTAL BALL

PS- This is a little bit of a high flyer so take a smaller position if you jump in this one (don't go crazy).

03/05/2013 08:38 PM

Re: SCRUTINIZING THE STOCKS TO WATCH LIST

EVER - PASS!

Another member told me about this stock today.  Only big negative I see is ROI only 12%. Nice 2nd stage base.

Update 3-6-13 - Rare higher volume follow through.  I bought and "added" on the same day.

~THE CRYSTAL BALL

03/11/2013 10:08 PM

Re: SCRUTINIZING THE STOCKS TO WATCH LIST

CVLT - Neutral - I can't explain what's held me from buying this. I guess it is a rule the CRYSTAL BALL uses occasionlly. The stock has had a 10 FOLD run from the bottom. Now I know they count bases and this one is only a 1 (c), but a 10-FOLD advance and it's called a stage one still?....Ahhhh do know. I like EVER better. Compare the monthly charts and you will see what I mean.

Also 20% annual growth? That's okay, but not great, year over year sales growth flat. I don't like the estimates either. CVLT will probably go higher, it just does not fit my risk profile right now. Fundamentals & technicals are mostly spotless.

---------------------

MTH - PASS - I don't like the ROI 6%. Nice forward earnings est. Current cup is short, I'd prefer to see lighter volume on the left side of the cup. U/D solid 1.7.

Alex, if you read this send me an email themanwiththecrystalball@gmail.com. I am looking for another experienced IBD investor (there is a small group of us), to share ideas - especailly during corrections and advice when to sell/buy etc. I can send you the spreadsheet we started. Thanks!

~THE CRYSTAL BALL